mrbestwrench.com

Author Topic: Intro / First question  (Read 7218 times)

yodman

• Novice
  • Constantly changing!
    • View Profile
Intro / First question
« on: April 16, 2011, 04:38:56 pm »
Hey guys, my name is Cody. I'm from Clarence, in Western NY. I have a 2011 Mustang V6.

My question is this: What class would I be looking at with these modifications? I want to update my car information for my pre-registration on the site here. I ran a few times last year, but the car was stock.

Mods are:
-Cold Air Intake
-Performance Mufflers
-Shelby GT500 Wheels and Tires

The car was F Stock last year.

I was told the intake would take me out of F Stock. The tires are factory GT500 tires. Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercars. That car is also classified as an F Stock car. So I don't see those affecting me.

I am planning on trekking out to the event at SEAD tomorrow morning! Can't wait for the season opener! May bring a couple new guys.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Guest »
Cody Clarke

1990 VW Jetta VR6 - Race Number 432 SM

mistrtwo

• Racer
    • View Profile
Re: Intro / First question
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2011, 06:19:30 pm »
STU
Carl 9 STS

yodman

• Novice
  • Constantly changing!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2011, 06:41:02 pm »
Thanks Carl!

I'll also have new rear end gears and a tune in the car next time. Would I still be STU?
Cody Clarke

JimPerrin

• Administrator
  • Cone Killer
  • Rental Car Champion!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2011, 10:01:18 am »
I moved this into the Solo forum, as it's a question about Solo.

The new gears will take you out of STU.  I'm afraid you'll be stuck in Street Mod or C Prepared.

Garick

• Racer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2011, 07:01:09 pm »
ouch, looks like headed for prepared

I think its stx in its current form, depending on the width of the rims and tires

yodman

• Novice
  • Constantly changing!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2011, 09:49:01 pm »
Okay, well, details are this as far as running the car THIS year.

-Exhaust is aftermarket mufflers only, so no changes there this year.

-I will be using my 17" rims for Solo purposes this year, which case I'd be using 225/60/17 tires all around. This is the factory size for the car, and the max width for STS.

-Gears are gonna be 3.73s, up from stock 2.73s, and the tune will optimize my power, and will only change factory settings in the computer and correct the speedo, not modifying any stock underhood components on the car currently.

-I have a cold air intake.

STS maybe? This is assuming I run with the narrower (225) tires on my car now and use the mods listed above.
Suspension will be later this year, to become more competitive.
The only thing I have to know is whether the new gears will take me out of STS. If so, then I guess Prepared is gonna be my class next event, or I'll leave out the gears.

Let me know fellas.

~Cody
Cody Clarke

JimPerrin

• Administrator
  • Cone Killer
  • Rental Car Champion!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2011, 08:00:44 am »
ST* classes don't require the use of stock wheels or tires.  STX for 2wd allows 265 wide tires on a 9" wide wheel.  But STX excludes "Sports cars & sports car-based models".  Since the Camaro is listed on the examples for STU, I'd guess that STU is where the Mustang would go as well (but I don't have any direct evidence of this fact).  STU allows for a 285 wide tire and the wheels are unlimited.  Your car is definitely not eligible for either ST or STS.

yodman

• Novice
  • Constantly changing!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2011, 05:33:34 pm »
Okay, now I know then. My car fits in the STU class. I've read up on suspension rules and I think there's where I will focus after my next few events. STU will be my target class in the end.
Cody Clarke

JimPerrin

• Administrator
  • Cone Killer
  • Rental Car Champion!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2011, 06:17:13 pm »
Honestly - you should just spend your money on entry fees.  Get the more experienced people to ride with you and give you tips.  If you really want to see how far off the pace you are, have someone else drive your car for a run or two.  If they don't beat your time by a few seconds, then it's time for suspension mods :)

yodman

• Novice
  • Constantly changing!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2011, 10:40:20 pm »
Jim, thanks for your time and advice. I will be checking how more of this season goes in the STU class to see where I stand before I go adding suspension either this year or over the winter for next year.

I will also take your advice on having someone else drive the car. Maybe I'll talk to Mike in the White Shelby GT some more... ;)

~Cody
Cody Clarke

JimPerrin

• Administrator
  • Cone Killer
  • Rental Car Champion!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2011, 08:40:47 am »
I have seen too many people spend a ton of money on their car, not get any faster, and then get so frustrated that they don't have fun.  If you aren't having fun, what's the point?

Mike is a good choice, but you can also talk to Dave Potocki, whom has a good deal of experience in Mike's mustang.  Also, don't limit yourself to just mustang drivers - talk to anyone with RWD experience, like Chris Morton, Jon Wolff (if he is ever at an event...), or Garrick (as long as you don't mind cone marks on the car!).  It's probably best to talk to everyone, as we each have our own style, and you can take advice from all of us to see what works best for you.  

And what is this world coming to that I can make cone jokes about anyone else?!

amaptn2

• Racer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2011, 09:02:38 am »
Hi Guys,
I don't have a lot of time to get into details right now, but the Mustang is STX legal. Even the 5.0 V8. That's why I ran it Sunday. (It has 4 seats, and is not a sports car, no matter what Detroit says.)
So Cody can run 9" wide rims with 265 tires, do the ECU flash, and if I remember correctly the 3.73 final drive was an option. What I'm not sure of is if it was only available with the Performance Pack" on by itself. If it was only available in the package You'll have to add the other parts that were included in that package to be legal.
Cody, go to the SCCA web site and dig up the rule book. Just remember the ST* rules build off of the stock class rules, so you can only do what the ST* rules say on top of what's allowed in Stock.
As you see, it's not a short answer, and I have to run...
Mike P
(White Shelby)

amaptn2

• Racer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2011, 02:36:53 pm »
Sh!t, I meant 3.31 final drive.
Mike

mistrtwo

• Racer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2011, 04:49:59 pm »
His rims are 9.5" wide which bumps him to STU
Carl 9 STS

yodman

• Novice
  • Constantly changing!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2011, 05:01:06 pm »
True to all what you have said.

Jim, I know I need plenty of seat time, and I can use it to find where the car's weaknesses are. I definitely will talk to as many RWD guys as I can this year. I have blue painter's tape for the bumpers for a reason, I just didn't do it at SEAD because the car was dirty and I didn't have time. I have LOADS of fun doing this, and it's cheaper to get into than track racing. I know that much.

Mike, thanks for the feedback! Unfortunately, I have 9.5 inch rims as Carl has said below your posts, and my rear tires are 285s. I will probably bump up to a set of 285s all around if I can next, or maybe I'll pull myself into a lower class if I can. Rims and tires are expensive as hell. The 3.73s were only an option on the GT... Sadly, that means they are of no use to me on this car. So, I'll have to get 3.31s. For now I will get it reflashed for the mods I have and the 2.73 stock gears. The low end torque needs an improvement. At SEAD it was fine in 2nd gear, but at ECC last year it dogged!

STU will be my class this year, and I will add suspension and tires for next year to make her ready for street prepared.
Cody Clarke

SimplePortal 2.3.2 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal