mrbestwrench.com

Author Topic: *** OFFICIAL Steet Touring Discussion ***  (Read 4222 times)

jvtoomey

*** OFFICIAL Steet Touring Discussion ***
« on: March 13, 2009, 11:16:45 am »
Figure we had one of these before, might as well get it going again... and since we're not like those jerks in SM (jim), we don't have to call it smack talk  ;)

I'm excited for this year, dedicated a bit more cash to the car this year.  Dedicated set of wheels/tires (got in on that killer deal on re-01r's on tire rack).  Coilovers, front/rear swaybars, tranny xmember bushings, sub frame bushings are all sitting in my basement ready to be installed this weekend since it looks like it is going to be decently warm.  I can't wait to see how the new sti runs with some beefier sways, it was a bit too roll happy at the end of last year I just didn't want to get in to modding it before the winter to save the parts one season of buffalo salt :)

Anyone else running new setups this year?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Guest »

marnie

Re: *** OFFICIAL Steet Touring Discussion ***
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2009, 01:57:41 pm »
I'll be in STS (former STS2) -- same CRX, just trying a little harder this year. New suspension, RE01-Rs, and an engine rebuild... shouldn't take more than 6 weeks  :o

jvtoomey

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2009, 04:13:02 pm »
oh and i guess technically i am running a new car, since i got a different '08 than i ended up the season with  :lol:

markp

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2009, 10:25:44 pm »
Last year I added a rear swaybar that put me into STX, this year I decided to step it up a little bit with custom valved DA coilovers with ridiculous spring rates (I told him daily driver comfort was of no concern), camber plates up front, adjustable rear lca's, and 15 lb wheels.  :D. And my tire shop, ***Rainbow Tire*** was able to convince the east coast rep from ***Bridgestone***to sponsor me with a set of ***RE-11's***. Sorry if this looks like a bad sitcom with product placement everywhere but I am new to this sponsorship thing and very excited.  :D

Can't wait for the season to start
Mark
p.s. If anyone needs a set of Aristos off an R32/20th AE GTI in good shape please let me know (I now have 5 sets of wheels and need to make room)
« Last Edit: March 22, 2009, 09:33:19 pm by markp »

jvtoomey

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2009, 09:12:14 am »
Nice!  I practically had sponsorship rates on the wicked 50% off sale on the re-01r's on tire rack... they weren't free but they sure felt like it.

c_cataldi

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2009, 10:19:03 pm »
Well, so I still run novice, being new to Auto X last year; but I've also gone in for some suspension upgrades on my 07 Si sedan.  The Honda Factory Performance Suspension package is in the mail--more than 50% discount on clearance; and I'm soon to get some camber bolts and skunk2 rear camber arms.  I've already got my racing shoes on, since they're streetable Falkens.  I hope someone can teach me a thing or two about tuning the camber when we're out at a test and tune some day soon.  Looking forward to some fun.   --Chris.

Garick

• Racer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2009, 05:55:08 pm »
-2-2.5 degrees in the front would probably be a good place to start without having to worry much about tire wear.  You could probably benefit from a bit more too but you start to lose other things.

Is anybody running Toyos This season?  The 225/15's are out and getting some positive press.  I wish I could have had the 225's last season.

yeohbaby

• Racer
    • View Profile
    • http://www.mitconsultingcorp.com
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2009, 04:01:56 pm »
A lot of people are running to Toyos out West, but there have been some rumblings from some of the Toyo drivers after the SD Tour that the tire wasn't what they expected. I don't have the specifics, so I don't know if that is good or bad.

Don't look too closely at the San Diego Tour event results. I'm not convinced that the results are representative yet. Ken is an alien and would be fast even if he was still on the old Falken RT-215 and it rained on the 2nd day. Most 1st drivers got 2 dry runs in (including Ken) and I don't think any of the 2nd drivers got a dry 2nd run. Kinda reminds me a little of Buffalo.

I like the feel of the Bridgestone RE-11's and given the wear that we've seen to date (we have 40-50 runs on a shaved set of 205s already), it does look like we'll get close to 200 runs on a set of shaved RE-11's. We were getting 200 runs on the RE-01R's as well. If you were on the RE-01R and plan to switch to the RE-11, plan on suspension changes to take advantage of the new tire. It's quite different (in my opinion better). It was already faster than the RE-01R when my Civic was set up for the RE-01R. If you have an 89 Civic that you want to set up for the RE-11, contact me and I'll share our setup with you.

FYI - Some Toyo drivers I know went through a set of new 225 fronts on a Civic in ONE practice day (3 drivers). That works out to somewhere in the region of 36 runs. Maybe a combination of bad driving and poor car setup? They ended up running a new set for the Sunday event. I was there for this one, so I personally saw their tires. Ouch!

I haven't driven on the Toyos, so I have no direct experience on them. I am also sponsored by Bridgestone, so do your own research  :mrgreen:

Garick

• Racer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2009, 08:35:55 pm »
I ran the 205's last season.  I don't have much to judge them against but  I thought they felt pretty good.  My car is a pig compared to the civics and I was not disappointed with wear at all.

MHill

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2009, 12:09:57 am »
Quote from: "marnie"
I'll be in STS (former STS2) -- same CRX, just trying a little harder this year. New suspension, RE01-Rs, and an engine rebuild... shouldn't take more than 6 weeks  :o
I'm not sure if the Reeves are still in the class this year. Still though, it is good to see competition in such small regions.

marnie

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2009, 10:15:58 am »
Yes, I believe they will be. They had talked about running their CRX but I think they might be sticking with the Miata. Cory and Dana Kuhns are codriving my car this year too, so we'll have a pretty consistent STS field this year.

yeohbaby

• Racer
    • View Profile
    • http://www.mitconsultingcorp.com
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2009, 03:55:57 pm »
Now that a couple of Tours and ProSolos have been completed, who's running what tire (and size) in ST, STS, STX and STU?

jvtoomey

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2009, 09:29:03 am »
Havent run them yet, will be this weekend... but will be running 245/40/18 RE-01R's in STU this season.

CarJunki

• Administrator
  • Pole Setter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2009, 03:50:56 pm »
After last sunday I can tell you not to run Yoko S.drives ;p They are nice on the street but pretty useless on the course. No grip here. I'm pretty sure think they were NOT meant for autocross but they were on the car so I thought I would give them a try. Still learning how to drive the car with no grip was actually really fun tho. They might be good for drifting....

:lol:
2009 Mini Cooper S Chili Red
FB page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/2215533317/

turnbuckle

« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2009, 11:33:53 pm »
shaved RE-11's are coming!  yay!

SimplePortal 2.3.2 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal