mrbestwrench.com

Author Topic: June 26th @ SEAD - ProSolo!  (Read 8405 times)

JimPerrin

• Administrator
  • Cone Killer
  • Rental Car Champion!
    • View Profile
June 26th @ SEAD - ProSolo!
« on: May 26, 2011, 02:18:25 pm »
We are going to try something a little different for the next event at Seneca.  I have been working to figure out how we can run a small version of a dual course prosolo, and I think I have worked it out to a point where it should be a good time.  

For those of you that have not run a dual course style prosolo event before, the premise is simple:

You have 2 courses that are mirror opposites of each other.  Both cars start side by side at the same time.  Once you finish your run, you line up on the other side and fun the opposite course.  You do this twice per heat (for a total of 2 runs per side), and after a couple of heats, the fastest time from each side is added together for your total time.

It's a little bit drag racing, a little bit solo, a little bit mirrorkhana.  It gives you the feel that you are racing directly against someone else.  The courses will be shorter than a normal event, at about 30-35 seconds per side.  However, we *should* be able to get 3 heats, so that would be 12 total runs, or equivalent to 6 runs on a 60-70 second course.

But wait - there's more!!!!  The Challenge Round!
Just like at a regular prosolo, we will also be running a Challenge Round!  The winners of each class, automatically qualify.  The remaining spots are filled by the top finishers in PAX.  They will then run a single elimination bracket head to head, with no timing - first one to the finish wins!  You might be thinking to yourself, "But what if I have a slower car and I'm up against something really fast?"  To address this issue, I've decided to use the mirrorkhana staggered start method, where the faster car gets a slight distance penalty on the start in order to equalize the cars a bit.  The last car remaining at the end wins!!!!*

So come on out and help us make this a fun time!

Attached are the rules for the event**.  Any questions?

* - there is no actual prize for winning the Challenge Round....unless I find something silly laying around my house....
** - rules subject to change, and are not to be considered final until the day of the event.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Guest »

jmercado567

• Racer
    • View Profile
Re: June 26th @ SEAD - ProSolo!
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2011, 05:19:05 pm »
Awesome!

JimPerrin

• Administrator
  • Cone Killer
  • Rental Car Champion!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2011, 06:56:33 pm »
I can't guarantee it's going to work perfectly, but I can guarantee a good time!  All you have to do is follow Dale's 3 Rules of Safety:

1.  Have Fun
2.  Be Safe
3.  Have Fun

If you are found in violation of any of these rules, Dale will have to pull you aside and have a talk with you...

William Mapstone

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2011, 10:18:55 pm »
Sounds interesting!

Do you plan on posting a map? I am curious to see how you arranged the course, cuz getting 2 course at SEAD is not an easy feat....

Will it have a typical Pro Solo drag race start?

Will it be a fast course like a typical Pro Solo course?

Nice forum.... :D

JimPerrin

• Administrator
  • Cone Killer
  • Rental Car Champion!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2011, 10:53:35 pm »
I'm not sure about the map.  The course won't be final until we lay it out and make sure it works.  

It will have a drag start, but no lights, since we don't have those resources.  And it should be fast :)

William Mapstone

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2011, 01:34:36 pm »
Sounds like it should be great fun! Cant wait to see what you guys come up with as far as map design!

conevadr

• Racer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2011, 11:32:28 pm »
Will adjusting tire pressures and spraying the tires be allowed between runs?  Will the driver be required to stay in the car during the crossover?  

PAX will be used for picking non-class winners for the Challenge round and also to determine distance setbacks.  Will there be an adjustment for Road Tire competitors?

George M

JimPerrin

• Administrator
  • Cone Killer
  • Rental Car Champion!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2011, 08:44:21 am »
You won't be required to stay in the car, but things should move along pretty quickly.  What happens at a real dual course pro is that you have a friend that sprays your tires and checks tire pressures.

PAX will be the basis for picking the challenge round competitors, but it's all at my discretion.  Since this is my first attempt at organizing something like this, I may decided to change it on the fly.

As for Road Tire adjustments - the class will be treated like all other classes, and the starting distances will be loosely based on how fast the winner of the class is (which is also subject to change).

yodman

• Novice
  • Constantly changing!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2011, 09:08:44 pm »
This is gonna be pretty awesome. And I have a new car to try out, so I'm gonna do terrible. But I don't care!
Cody Clarke

1990 VW Jetta VR6 - Race Number 432 SM

conevadr

• Racer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2011, 08:35:34 am »
Tire spraying is not allowed on the staging area at a real ProSolo.  I would actually rather not see it allowed at the local event since it will already be pretty hectic.  But if its allowed, I'll be doing it.

I also see that ProSolo is now using the Solo PAX factors.  ProSolo used to have its own factors.  Did that change recently?  Its been a couple of years since I did a ProSolo.

I suggest that an additional multiplier be applied (.98?) be applied for Road Tire when picking the Challenge competitors.  A higher index could be considered for Novices.

George M

JimPerrin

• Administrator
  • Cone Killer
  • Rental Car Champion!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2011, 08:41:08 am »
new rule - no tire spraying!

dpotocki

• Pole Setter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2011, 08:59:17 am »
Quote from: "conevadr"

I also see that ProSolo is now using the Solo PAX factors.  ProSolo used to have its own factors.  Did that change recently?  Its been a couple of years since I did a ProSolo.

I suggest that an additional multiplier be applied (.98?) be applied for Road Tire when picking the Challenge competitors.  A higher index could be considered for Novices.

George M

ProSolo moved to its the regular Solo PAX just this year.

brucejones

• Racer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2011, 02:08:03 pm »
IMPORTANT NOTE:
Due to the experimental nature of this event and the configuration of courses, pit, and grid we have elected to exclude the participation at this event for the kid kart classes of FJA, FJB, and FJC.
We apologize for any inconvenience.
Thanks.

norman

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2011, 11:36:01 pm »
This is the first WNY Region event  I'm looking at coming to. This is my first year in Solo. Is the 6/26 at SEAD open to the general semi-novice public, or is there something special about it? What is ProSolo?  What is OOR?

What's the shedule for the event: registration, tech, drivers meeting, etc?

Thanks.

Norm Adelewitz
Ithaca

JimPerrin

• Administrator
  • Cone Killer
  • Rental Car Champion!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2011, 11:56:41 pm »
It is open to the public, but there is something special about the event.  ProSolo is a style of national event where there are two courses that are mirrors of each other, and 2 cars run against each other at the same time.  Basically, you can treat it like you are running 2 courses at one event.

OOR = Out Of Region, which means it's a points event for another region.

Registration & Tech are usually open 8:30-9:30, driver's meeting is at 10.

SimplePortal 2.3.2 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal