mrbestwrench.com

Author Topic: Brake pad question  (Read 3048 times)

kdhenry

• Novice
  • PSU 72
    • View Profile
Brake pad question
« on: March 13, 2013, 05:41:21 pm »
I guess you could say I'm more looking for opinions than taking a poll but here's the situation:  '95 street and Auto-X Vette planning to run B Stock this year.  Car is due for new brake pads.  I'm looking at Porterfield R4-1 of R4-S.  I've already heard from my local expert and talked to the factory.  Anybody else (especially Vette pilots) have any input before I jump in and make a decision?  Thanks  _Karl

JimPerrin

• Administrator
  • Cone Killer
  • Rental Car Champion!
    • View Profile
Re: Brake pad question
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2013, 07:23:23 pm »
I deleted the duplicate thread for you.

I have a question for you - what tires?  On street tires, any race or track oriented pad is going to be plenty for autox.

kdhenry

• Novice
  • PSU 72
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2013, 09:33:16 pm »
Thanks for the delete.  I'll be running the new BFG Rivals.

amaptn2

• Racer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2013, 03:43:36 pm »
I ran the R4-S on my MR2, and found them really easy to modulate and easy on the rotors. The R4-1 is new, and I have not heard anything about them.
I also ran Hawk HPS on the Shelby, and thought they were OK for autocross use, but no idea if they would stand up to a track day.
Mike Potocki

kdhenry

• Novice
  • PSU 72
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2013, 04:01:31 pm »
Thanks, Mike.  A number of local drivers have recommended the R4-S.  I talked to engineering at the factory specifically about my setup and they recommended the R4-1s.  We'll see how long the pads and rotors last as that is the big unknown.  Hey - whoever said playing with cars were cheap?

amaptn2

• Racer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2013, 10:00:37 am »
The specifications of the R4-1s look interesting. The one thing I remember with the R4-S is the very first stop of the morning after leaving my driveway took some extra force on the pedal.  :)
They never needed any more heat than that to work.
Mike

SimplePortal 2.3.2 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal