mrbestwrench.com

Author Topic: STPR 2009  (Read 3528 times)

JimPerrin

• Administrator
  • Cone Killer
  • Rental Car Champion!
    • View Profile
STPR 2009
« on: June 08, 2009, 01:34:54 am »
Marnie managed to take the single most awesome pic of us at STPR this weekend:

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Guest »

jvtoomey

Re: STPR 2009
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2009, 09:25:18 am »
that shot rules, especially with the hook'm horns thrown up right in front of it.

dale

• Administrator
  • Cone Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2009, 01:02:55 pm »
how about we get the rest of the story???

JimPerrin

• Administrator
  • Cone Killer
  • Rental Car Champion!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2009, 01:33:31 pm »
Full Story:

I was waiting up until the last minute for necessary parts, like my driving suit and new harnesses, but the came in the night before we were leaving.  Got everything installed that night, and got home about midnight.  We packed the tow van up Thursday morning, and finally got on the road about 10am, with plans of being in Wellsboro, PA around 1pm, in time for tech and registration to open.  We made it down 20a, just past 77, when the van stopped being able to move up the hills.  We later found out that the source of the problem are bad injectors causing it to run to lean.  Well, trying to figure this out, we pulled off into a trailer park right there and spent about an hour troubleshooting, but nothing was helping.  Lee (my codriver) showed up and we ran down the short list of alternatives before we "borrowed" another tow vehicle to get us there.  After a drive back to Buffalo, we arrived at the trailer park, where we spent the next 45 minutes attempting to removed the old hitch and install a proper ball on it.  Took a lot of heat and sledge hammer, but we finally got it.  We dropped the trailer on the ball, only to find out that the tongue on the trailer had giant cracks on it.  No problem though, because we had a welder and generator with us!  So after all of that, we are finally ready to get back on the road - at almost 6pm.  Took us forever to get down there, because the van could only move so fast with it's bad injectors.  About 10 miles short of Wellsboro, the serpentine belt snaps on the truck.  So now we have to pull off to a parking lot, and drive The Chief (my rally truck) into town from there, since it's almost 11pm.  Day 1 is finally over, with very few good things coming from it.

Day 2 started with an attempt at passing tech and registration.  Surprisingly enough, we passed with very few issues.  So we gear up to start the first stage, and the horns are dead!  No big deal, we can still run...until stage 2 when we lose the Terratrip rally computer.  Trying to drive the stage without decent mileage references, was just a disaster, and we almost clipped a tree.  We also busted all of the shocks on that stage.  Someone said that those 2 stages are like driving through a christmas tree farm on the moon.   The day ended with the Subaru Super Special Stage at the fairgrounds, where I demonstrated how not to take a turn in the mud.  I had to take it real easy over the 3 foot jump because of the busted suspension too.  We then spent until 2am replacing shocks, and fixing the horns and Terratrip.

Day 3 started with the Parc Expose at the Green in downtown Wellsboro.  I had a lot of fun here, because people were asking for my autograph - they must have thought I was someone else....  I had a paint marker on me, so I went around and invited all of the other drivers and codrivers to sign my hood.  It's going to make a pretty cool keepsake from my first rally.  Stages 4,5,6 went pretty routinely.  I drove easy and passed a few people that went off.  Stages 7,8,9 I started to pick up the pace a little, getting the feel for the car and the surface.  Passed a few more people off - a car in the trees and one on it's roof in the middle of the road. At the end of 9, the Polish guys asked if we could tow them back to service because their car started on fire.  We towed them about 10 miles. 10,11, and 12 were repeats of 7,8,and 9 so I started to push it a little harder.  We were having cooling issues all weekend, but on 11 we managed to boil all of the coolant (going faster, and towing those guys didn't help).  I pulled over to fill the radiator up, and when I got back in, the rear drums were seized and wouldn't move.  We ended up maxing out on time and dnf'ing on stage 11.  After 20 minutes, everything cooled enough to get moving again.  When we finally made it back to the fair grounds, my crew had made arrangements to let us run that night's super special for exhibition.  That's where the pic is from.  We hit the jump flat out (which isn't that fast in that truck).  Everyone cheered for us, not only then, but every spectator stage that we passed.  Somehow, we became the crowd favorites.  And that last stage really made the weekend worth it.  

With all of the ups and downs of the weekend, it was one of the greatest experiences of my life.  I will do it again, as soon as we fix The Chief and the tow van up.  

We are 7:00 minutes in:  
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGodutFAalQ

I need to thank everyone that pitched in and helped out to make this happen. Jesse, Lee, Punjabi, Josh, Don, Pat, Chuck, Dennis... I couldn't have done it without you guys!

markp

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2009, 04:21:31 pm »
I wish I could have been there, hopefully I can make it next year. You looked really good going into that hairpin, all that rallycross paid off. That is definitely a cool picture.

Mark

SimplePortal 2.3.2 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal